In this last room of the museum drawn from the Chapel dedicated to Saint Onuphius, formerly private chapel of De Sanctis family as shown by the two funeral monuments still in the room, there are a lot of testimonies to centuries of Ortonese History, archaeological finds of the Roman period and stone elements of the old Cathedral, together with an extraordinary numismatics collection.
4.1 Emblem of the City of Ortona, carved stone, 1791.
4.2 Emblem of De Pizzis’ family, Carved stone, 17th cent.
Around half of 17th century he got a lot of feuds : S. Martino, Filetto, Vacri, Rosciano and Guardiagrele, but he later kept only the ones in S. Martino and Filetto. In 1708 the title on S. Martino was upgraded from Baron’s to Marquise’s. They were the heirs of the painter Giovan Battista Spinelli since his sister Catherine had married Ludovico de Pizzis bringing him a dowry of almost 3000 ducats.
Even if numerous and divided in many branches, De Pizzis family extinguished at the end of the 18th century with Antonia, who married Francesco Odoardo Benedetti, baron of Scoppito e aristocrat from L’Aquila, at the end of 18th century.
The title of Marquise of di S. Martino passed to his son Giuseppe Benedetti, who settled in Ortona and had no progeny. His wife and he were the last ones to be buried in the 14th century family crypt of Immacolata Concezione in the Ortona Cathedral.
4.3 Angevin emblem, carved stone, 14th cent.
In memory of the event, in Ortona, the Madonna delle Grazie convent was started, currently no more existing, while in Lanciano the convent of Sant’Angelo della Pace, currently San Antonio, was founded; it still exists with its very rich library.
With the final victory of Aragoneses in the Kingdom of Naples, Riccardis were forced to exile and they moved to Urbino, Pesaro, Modena, Mantova and Bologna. Some remarkable names of those years are Francesco Riccardi, who was also Governor and Viceroy of Perugia between 1408 and 1414, and Sigismondo Riccardi, Lord of Caprara, known as "Morello da Ortona", friend of Pietro Bembo, and mentioned in “Cortegiano" by Baldassarre Castiglione.
4.5. Abruzzo area of interest, Andrea Matteo de Sanctis’ Tomb ,1556, carved stone.
Towards the end of the 16th century it hosted Margaret from Austria, natural daughter of the Emperor Charles II, duchess of Parma and Piacenza and governor of the Spanish Netherlands who decided to settle in Ortona, that she had obtained in 1582 by Horace de Lannoy Prince of Sulmona and Count of Venafro, as guest of Camillo de Sanctis waiting for the completion of her palace, for whose construction the famous architect Giacomo della Porta had been appointed. But she died on 18th January 1586 in De Sanctis’ palace before Farnese palace was completed.
4.6 Abruzzo area of interest, Andrea de Sanctis’ Tomb, 1504
Their emblem shows a lion with a bend on which it’s possible to see three P letters, interpreted as "Pugna Pro Patria".
Giovanni Agostino de Sanctis was canon and general vicar of Giovanni Domenico Rebibba, first Bishop of the Ortona Diocese.